This practical workshop offers a basic training for IBM i / RPGLE that focusses primarily on the modern free form version of RPGLE. The most important fix form operations are also explained.
In this workshop theoretical explications are alternated with practical exercises on your own IBM i environment, using the modern development tools Rational Developer for i and Access Client Solutions.
After completing this workshop, you will be able to write programs, procedures and service programs in RPGLE and SQLRPGLE. You write, compile, test and debug these programs using the extensive supporting features of the eclipse based development tool Rational Developer for i, the on-line help and the provided course materials.
This course covers the following topics:
- IBM i basics (library, object, member, …)
- RPGLE basics (definitions, operations, built-in functions)
- Some other operations (including fix form MOVE)
- File operations in RPGLE
- Use of SQL in RPGLE
- Procedures, modules, service programs
- Exercises in free form RPGLE
- Use of Rational developer for i including Remote Sytems Explorer, PDM perspective, LPEX editor, help functions, visual debugger, preferences, shortcuts, …
Skills to be learned:
- Use of the Rational Developer for i development tool
- Working independently and evolving using the support options of RDi, the on-line documentation and the provided course materials
- Appropriate working method for coding, compiling and testing RPGLE programs
- Solving syntax and compilation errors independently
- Rational Developer for i: Handouts and slides containing screenshots and examples
- RPGLE: Handouts and slides containing screenshots and examples
- SQLRPGLE: Example program containing examples for different types of SQL functions
EASI is an official training provider, recognised by the Flemish government's 'KMO-portefeuille'.