About this workshop
The goal of this practical workshop is to familiarize RPG developers with the new possibilities of free form RPGLE. The easiest way to achieve this goal is to use the modern development tool Rational Developer for i.
This workshop focusses on free form RPGLE, including definitions and the use of procedures, modules and service programs.
In this workshop theoretical explications are alternated with practical exercises on your own IBM i environment, using the modern development tools Rational Developer for i and Access Client Solutions.
After completing this workshop, you will be able to write programs, procedures and service programs in free form RPGLE. You write, compile, test and debug these programs using the extensive supporting features of the eclipse based development tool Rational Developer for i, the on-line help and the provided course materials.
Skills to be learned
- Learn to write RPGLE programs and procedures in service programs in full free form RPGLE
This workshop covers the following topics
- RPGLE basics in free form (definitions, operations, built-in functions)
- Some other operations in free form (date operations, monitor)
- File operations in RPGLE free form
- Procedures, modules, service programs
- Control options
- Exercises on free form RPGLE
- Handouts and presentation containing screenshots and examples
- RPG developers
- Programming experience in RPG
- Some experience in using Rational Developer for i
- Recent version of Access Client Solutions installed on your PC
- Recent version of Rational Developer for i installed on your PC
- Connection available to your IBM i environment
- 2 days
- 3 days covering workshop and course materials